Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

WHAT CAN I USE TO KEEP PESTS OUT OF A CHILDREN'S SAND BOX THAT IS NOT TOXIC / THIS IS

WHAT CAN I USE TO KEEP PESTS OUT OF A CHILDREN'S SAND BOX THAT IS NOT TOXIC / THIS IS

Old 06-25-00, 10:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT I CAN USE TO CONTROL PESTS INSIDE A SAND BOX? IT CAN NOT BE SOMETHING TOXIC BECAUSE IT IS A DAY-CARE FACILITY. I FIND I HAVE THE MOST TROUBLE WITH WHAT THE KIDS CALL ROLLY-POLLY BUGS.

Old 07-04-00, 04:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Sounds like pillbugs (black, roll into tight balls?) or sowbugs (gray, can't roll into tight balls?). They are basically harmless though little ones shouldn't be eating them. These poor critters have always been and will probably always will be a fascinating toy for children as it's fun to disturb them and make them roll up in a ball and then roll them around. I play with them too ( I admit to a bit of child in me). Try to exclude them at night. They feed on decaying leaves, wood, etc. so clean up area. I would not bait because of the children but you could use the rolled up newspaper trick at night like you use for earwigs.

Old 07-09-00, 09:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Diatatamous earth in a
line around the box will keep them out and will not harm the kids. You will have to redo if it gets wet.

Old 07-10-00, 05:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the suggestions;however I am not familliar with the newspaper trick for earwigs, and I am afraid I have no idea what diatamous earth is...please fill me in, i'm not an outdoor person, but some things are necessary. thanks again, Teresa

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: