Cats using new mulch as sandbox.

Old 05-16-00, 12:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

What can I use to keep cats out of my mulch? I put down the red colored mulch over black and the cats keep digging the black up so it shows thru the red. The worst part of all of this is I do not own any cats.

Old 05-16-00, 11:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

the only way I have been able to discourage cats from digging in my mulch is to squirt them with a water gun. It doesn't harm them but they hate it. This means though, you have to catch them in the act. good luck

Old 05-17-00, 07:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi: Kimbo

I would like to offer another suggestion.
Try MOTHBALLS. The ordinary type used in closets in years gone by. <<<This product can be found in grocery and hardware stores.>>>

Sprinkle the crystals around the perimeter. If you use the balls, do the same, only use them closer to the base of the garden plants.

Or try those toilet bowl deodorizers. Hang these closer to the ground about animal height.

Cat's HATE the smell. So do dog's. Your garden will be free of DEPOSITS! haha

Caution:
Use sparingly! Not much is needed.
Replace as needed.

Hope this suggestion works as well for you as it does for me.

Good Luck
TomBartco

Old 05-17-00, 09:00 AM
Visiting Guest
thanks guys. I'll try the mothballs, Water gun is a little too time consuming.

Old 05-19-00, 11:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Dear Kimbo, I have a simple and inexpensive solution. Sprinkle generously crushed red pepper all over the area. Refresh the mulch every 3 or 4 days as needed. The cats hate the smell of the pepper and they also get the HOT pepper on their feet. They hate that even more. Good luck

Old 05-19-00, 11:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Dear Kimbo, I have a simple and inexpensive solution. Sprinkle generously crushed red pepper all over the area. Refresh the mulch every 3 or 4 days as needed. The cats hate the smell of the pepper and they also get the HOT pepper on their feet. They hate that even more. Good luck

Old 05-23-00, 07:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Annmarie, I just bought some red pepper and that had crossed my mind. I will try that too.

Old 07-04-00, 05:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

PEOPLE: Please stop spreading moth balls around. Did you know they are poisonous to small animals and small humans? And YES!!! Small children (yours, your neighbors, or the visiting child can and WILL eat them). If you are going to insist on spreading moth balls around please contact your poison control center so you will know recommended emergency procedures for ingestion of moth balls by children.

Old 07-09-00, 08:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Ladybug If you have a better idea please tell us. I have grown children and no grand children and I am tried of spending money to watch my cats and dogs kill my plants.

Old 07-20-00, 10:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Hi NatureMom - Missed your question so better late than never here is the answer. I have posted it and information about using mothballs under "Keep cats out of garden" which was posted by smvitch1.

In short - chicken wire. You can mulch over it to hide it if you wish for appearance. Cats don't like it (they can't dig through it to do their business), it's long term, and it is safe for children and pets. Whether you are home or away, asleep in the wee hours or awake the chicken wire is there and working - rain, snow, sleet, etc.

As for the moth balls - don't - don't - don't use it. It only takes one child going into acute toxicity to ruin an otherwise beautiful day. Even if you don't have small children it only takes one child visiting at the neighbor's who wanders into your yard while the adults are talking to create a nightmare. Children will and do put all kinds of things into their mouths that we wouldn't dream of doing. I hate to think what level of liability insurance a person would have to have to cover a lawsuit after the severe illness or death of a child. No moth balls of any type - paradichlorobenzene (feels wet) or naphalene (dry).

Per the Washington State Poison Control Center a black male child or mixed blood male child with black ancestry can have a gene missing. For this child a taste (less than 1/2 of 1 moth ball (naphalene - dry type) can put the child into acute toxicity. For all children who ingest over 3 of the wet kind or over 2 of the dry kind produces acute toxicity. No mothballs!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: