container gardening

Old 07-25-00, 01:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

can I successfully do container gardening of fruits and fruit trees indoors? as I live in an apartment. if so, what types of fruits? I am hoping to grow prunes, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, necterines, watermelons, etc. etc. where can I find info. on container gardening of fruits and fruit trees?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-00, 04:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Yes - it can be done. One of the most famous container-fruit gardens belonged to Louis XIV, who in the 1600's constructed an orangerie at Versailles. Of course he had a little help and the money to give the plants the conditions they need. You, if you are dedicated, can do similar or close.

Two books which you will find helpful are "Gardening In Containers" by Sunset Books and "Gardening In Containers" by Ortho Books. Both of these are available through your local library on loan or you may purchase your own copies at your local bookstore. Each has an entire section on growing fruit and vegetables in containers. Each book contains cultural instructions, lists of fruits and vegetables amenable to this type of culture, etc. Also, while at the library look for other books on the subject.

If after reading up on the subject you decide you want to have a go at it post on this site and I can give you some possible sources for the proper varieties. Have fun - a retired commercial grower