Planting Bradford Chanticleer

Old 08-01-00, 10:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I recently purchased two flowering bradford pair trees. One was so heavey the canvas fell off the root ball with most of the soil. The roots look fine and undamaged. I replanted in a hole a little bigger than original size of root ball.I added most of the soil that fell off mixed with new topsoil and peatmoss. Being the middle of the summer in N.J. I'm concerned with the chances of survival. How many rules did I break? Will I be Lucky? Did I do anything Right?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-00, 02:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Oh dear! After the root ball fell apart you did everything right that could be done to my knowledge. Be sure to make a dam around tree with extra soil (not from tree hole) and fill it with water at least once a day. About 3"-4" high should do it. In addition, if your temps are like ours right now, spray the tree itself with water 2-3 times a day as the leaves will be transpiring in the heat. Once the burlap and root ball went the very small feeder roots were affected so this should do all possible to help the tree take up moisture and hold on to what it has. Good luck -a retired commercial grower.

Old 08-01-00, 02:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

You might also check with your local nursery about using an anti-transpirent and the adviseability of using it at this time of year in your climate. They will have it available.

Old 08-02-00, 08:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ladybug. I'm keeping hope. I named the tree "Todd" and the kids get tickled cause I'm always talking to the tree.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ladybug:
Oh dear! After the root ball fell apart you did everything right that could be done to my knowledge. Be sure to make a dam around tree with extra soil (not from tree hole) and fill it with water at least once a day. About 3"-4" high should do it. In addition, if your temps are like ours right now, spray the tree itself with water 2-3 times a day as the leaves will be transpiring in the heat. Once the burlap and root ball went the very small feeder roots were affected so this should do all possible to help the tree take up moisture and hold on to what it has. Good luck -a retired commercial grower.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Freddy (edited August 02, 2000).]