Dried up citrus tree leaves

Old 07-31-00, 10:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

My husband and myself are far from gardners. We were given a lemon and lime tree as a gift. They are still in the original pot and we are unable to put into the ground until we landscape the backyard. My husband left the trees in full sun in the hot Las Vegas sun. We have been watering them regularly, but the leaves have dried up and the branches feel very brittle.

What can we do to revive these plants? Should we repot them in containers? How often should they be watered? Please help??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-00, 06:36 AM
Ladybug
Visiting Guest
Wink

Oooops! It's possible that they are gone but let's try this. Keep the plants in their pots for now. Move them to a location that only gets about 4-6 hrs of morning sun. Get a bucket or some container that is larger both in height and width that the pot. Put the pot into the container and fill the container with water. Keep the water level above the rim of the pot for 30 minutes after the bubbles stop rising. You have now made sure that the entire root ball is watered.

Remove the plant pot (lift the pot don't just grab the plant) from the water container and place it in its location where the excess water can drain. Now water the pot when the soil surface dries. Don't let it dry down deep. You may have to water daily. Check it every day. In additon, spray the top of the plant with water daily (mid-morning) or twice a day (mid-afternoon also).

If the plants are going to make it this should do it. It may take awhile for new growth to start. Watch for swelling leaf buds. Good luck - a retired commercial grower.