preserving basil

Old 09-21-00, 02:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I have a lot of basil that I would like to freeze, but don't know the best method. Can any one help?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-00, 04:12 PM
Ladybug
Visiting Guest
Wink

Since copyright laws forbid me from giving you the directions directly I can only tell you to go to your local library and request a copy of "Stocking Up III" by Carol Hupping and the staff of the Rodale Food Center. If necessary ask the library to do an inter-library loan.

Also check at your local book store. It should also be available from Rodale Press, Emmaus, Pennsylvania.

Pages 73 - 76 give complete directions for basil and also chives, dill, lovage, sorrel and thyme.

The above is an excellent book with directions on harvesting, freezing, canning, drying, storage, etc., etc., etc. All down to earth, practical, and covers the gammet from fruit, vegetables, herbs, meat, dairy, pickles, etc.

By the way there is a recipe for old fashioned apple butter made in a crock pot on page 269 that is to die for.

You can also make your favorite pesto recipe and freeze it. Just leave out the garlic until you are ready to use it.

Best - Ladybug