impatiens

Old 10-15-00, 08:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I had New Guinea impatiens hanging on my porch this summer; is there any way to keep them for next year or do I throw them away and buy new ones next year?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-00, 03:59 AM
Ladybug
Visiting Guest
Wink

New Guinea impatiens are especially popular as a houseplant. To bring whole plants indoors, take younger, smaller plants, pot them up in a good soil mix, then condition them for indoor life by keeping them outdoors in their pots for a few weeks before frost but be sure to bring them in if frost is predicted.

You can try to bring in the mature plant by conditioning it to indoor life by bringing in at night and back out during the day. Do this for longer indoor periods, shortening outdoor time until they are indoors all the time. Since indoor air is drier they may try to drop leaves. Try pinching back. This also causes the plant to bush out.

Another way is to take cuttings. This is extremely easy to do with impatiens. After roots begin to form you can pot up. Pinch to make more compact, bushier growth.

In the spring simply start the process again or simply pot up for outside. Incidentally, this is a great way to multiply your New Guinea impatiens plants.