Cutting landscaping timbers

Old 10-21-00, 06:02 AM
Visiting Guest
I want to put landscaping timbers around a tree to enclose a small flower bed. I don't want to make a square enclosure with posts, I would like to make an enclosure with 5-6 posts. How do I determine the angle to cut these so they but up to each other flush? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-00, 07:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm not a carpenter or mathematician, but I would say 360/6/2= 30 degrees for six sides and 360/5/2= 36 degrees for a pentagon. Maybe one of the pro carpenters in here can advise you better about the angles.
That's what I would try. Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by OldGuy (edited October 21, 2000).]

Old 10-22-00, 04:32 AM
Ladybug
Visiting Guest
Wink

OK, first you guys have to promise not to laugh. I hate math (use it, just hate it) also I like to be able to actually see the bed size and be able to make bed size adjustments if I want to before cutting. Sort of my version of the old "measure twice, cut once" axiom. So, I cheat!

For a bed with 6 posts take 3 posts and lay them with the mid-centers equidistant from the tree trunk. Make sure post ends are same distance from each other. Now lay the other three posts across the tops of the first (ends crossing) to enclose the bed, making sure the mid-centers are also the same distance from the tree trunk as the first three.

Now you can stand back. Is bed the size you want? Too large? Slide the posts in. Too small? Slide them out. You are limited by post length.

Once you have the bed the size you want - mark both posts where post ends cross each other and cut.

Best - Ladybug

Old 10-22-00, 06:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

LOL. You hit it, LadyBug. Use LadyBug's layout method. I still think the angles will be what I suggested, as long as all of the landscape timbers are cut the exact same length. Whatever works for YOU. Good Luck, again!