bad cauliflower?

Old 06-22-09, 04:34 PM
tae
bad cauliflower?

my garden is going great except for my cauliflower. The plants are large, the leaves are large, but no sign of a "head" of cauliflower. Am I missing something? thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-09, 09:47 AM
Hi Tae,

You don't say where you live or what the weather conditions have been, but I suspect that the weather turned hot and that has caused the heads not to form. Selected quotes from this site with more helpful growing info:
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/cauliflower1.html

When to Plant

Cauliflower is more sensitive to the cold than its cabbage-family relatives. It is important to start cauliflower early enough that it matures before the heat of the summer but not so early that it is injured by the cold. In some seasons, that compromise may be almost impossible to achieve.

Care

Cauliflower plants should be kept growing vigorously from the seedling stage through harvest. Any interruption (extreme cold, heat, drought or plant damage) can abort development of the edible portion. Large plants that never develop a head are extremely disappointing. Cauliflower must have a consistent and ample supply of soil moisture. Side-dress nitrogen fertilizer when the plants are half grown.

Old 06-23-09, 05:03 PM
tae
Thanks for your response and the link. I bet you are probably right. I'm here in Kansas, and we have had some 90+ degree weather. Great for my tomato's and cukes and cantelope, but apparently not so for the cauliflower and afraid the cabbage is going the same way.

Old 06-24-09, 04:02 PM
You are so very welcome! I've been watching the temps on tv in the central part of the country and cringing. I just am not ready for that! Guess you will have to try again in the fall.

Newt