getting rid of Ivy

Old 10-23-00, 05:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I want to get rid of ivy in the front of my house. My house sits on a slight hill and the ivy is at a 60 degree angle. Problem is I do not know if getting rid of the ivy would cause an erosion problem so severe that it would cause a serious problem. I live in VA and the soil appears to be sandy.

What would be the best way of getting rid of the ivy? I think I have two choices: to plant flowers or maybe a retaining wall to make sure we do not have future problems by taking out the ivy.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-00, 07:01 AM
Ladybug
Visiting Guest
Wink

Actually you have several options depending on your taste in landscaping. Pop on over to your local library and take a look at several books on landscaping (there are a ton of them). Focus on the sections dealing with erosion control, hillsides, etc.

You will not only find structural methods but also best plants listed for this purpose. Just adjust plants listed to those available in your area. In addition you will find many design ideas that might just spark your interest.

Contact your local Cooperative Extension Service by going to http://www.reeusda.gov/1700/statepartners/usa.htm. Click on your state, then county to find your local office. Get in touch with them not only for best advice for getting rid of the ivy but also for advice on soil erosion control with plants based on your local climate/soil conditions.