will my lavenders make it???

Old 10-28-00, 02:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I planted some lavenders in pots last spring, because I've always liked them. But I live in a cold winter area, temps reach down to -15, and I don't even want to go into wind-chills! What do I have to do to bring my lavenders through the winter?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-00, 05:27 AM
Ladybug
Visiting Guest
Wink

1. In pots above ground? No, they will not survive. The roots will have no protection from freezing.

2. Planted in the ground either in the pot or by direct planting it depends on the variety, your soil type, and whether there is any snow cover.

Heavy or poorly drained soil is almost a guaranteed winter killer. Consider your soil type and drainage.

With good drainage you can either plant direct into the ground or dig a hole in which you can place the pot bringing the soil back up to the sides of the pot. I would then mulch the area to assure that the lip of the pot and the soil inside maintains some moisture (but not too much) and (if clay) is not exposed to the air. Air will wick the moisture from a clay pot and root ball. Bear in mind that the presence of the pot will have an effect on drainage.

Hopefully, you know which variety (varieties) you have. The following (more commonly available) are listed as zone 6-10(11): Lavandula x intermedia "Alba", L. x "Goodwin Creek Gray", and L. x "Silver Frost". These would be too tender for your climate and should be brought indoors.

Zone 5-10 lavenders commonly available are L. x intermedia "Grosso", L. x intermedia "Provence", L. angustifolia "Hidcote", L. angustifolia "Nana" (dwarf blue), and L. angustifolia "Melissa" (Melissa Pink).

Zone 5 is listed as coldest expected winter temperature of -20F to -10F. This does not take into consideration the wind chill, drying (dessicating) effect of wind, presence of lack of snow cover.

To make your final decision on whether to winter them outdoors or bring them in is best made with some local advice from people familiar with your particular climate. Contact your local Cooperative Extension Service at http://www.reeusda.gov/1700/statepartners/usa.htm. Click on your state, then county, then find your local office. They will be happy to give you best advice for your area.

Best - Ladybug