Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Building a Small wooden fence for my flower bed.

Building a Small wooden fence for my flower bed.

Old 11-13-00, 12:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I'm sure it is very simple to build this fence. For starters; it is 27 1/2" tall.
Looks like a picket fence. I've cut all the wood out of cedar. I'd like to leave it a couple of inches off the ground. Now this is where I'm having problems, how should I put this together, where I can remove it simply if I have to. Should I use screws or nails. Thanks so much
Terry Lynn

Old 11-13-00, 06:48 AM
Ladybug
Visiting Guest
Wink

The following is how I would do it. Maybe one of the guys would care to pop in here with their input as well.

I would use screws (be sure they are long enough) as they are easier to back out if you should decide you need to take the fence apart. Do be sure you use the proper type of screw for outdoor application so you don't get staining of the wood from the metal screw. Ask at your local hardware store where you get the screws.

If by "take apart" you mean remove a section to gain entrance through the fence for access you might also consider using mounting brackets that will allow you to lift a section out.

You could also simply hinge it though I believe I would put in two adjoining 4' gates to avoid the problem of trying to support an 8' gate off of one set of hinges. Even at the height you are contemplating an 8' section will be quite heavy.

Using a gate(s) would avoid the problem of trying to lift out an 8' section due to weight if all you wish is a way to have wide opening access into the inside of the fenced in area.

Best - Ladybug

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: