Identify this tree/bush?

Old 10-27-09, 04:51 PM
Identify this tree/bush?

I bought this shrub years ago at a nursery sidewalk sale. I never found out what it was. Now I would like more of them. Could someone tell what they are based on these photo?

Picasa Web Albums - Durtsailor

Here is a detail of the leaves: Picasa Web Albums - Durtsailor

It looks like a kind of magnolia to me but does not flower.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-09, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is a magnolia, and it does flower. Not every year, but all those cone looking thingys....they are technically flowers. How long have you had it? In several years and with another magnolia nearby, it should bloom.

Old 10-29-09, 01:21 AM
It doesn't have any cones on it. I'm familiar with Magnolia of the tree type like that having had a few to clean up after. This bush is about 11 years old too. Not sure it's gonna get any bigger.

Since posting, I've heard someone look at it in the yard and tell me that whatever it is, it begins with and "e". That oughta narrow it down to abot 1279 names for me.

Old 10-29-09, 01:37 PM
Eucalyptus?? Best guess I can come up with and the leaves look similar to what they show in Wikipedia.

Old 10-29-09, 05:06 PM
I doubt an Eucalyptus on the outer banks. Looks like it could be a mountain laurel. We have them here, but they don't grow that large, and have twisted limb work. Great for decorative balusters, etc.

Old 05-04-10, 09:41 AM
I took a branch back to the nursery wehre I bought and the staff has changed. This stumped them too.
"Quite possibly magnolia but some distant variety." Sweet Bay maybe?

I really would like to narrow it down to the right variety so I can get a good hedge-row of these going.

Off subject- They've been making sure that we understand that we're only "inner banks." The outer bankers are feeling put upon if we try to include ourselves in their locale. Bit of local pastime but we'll take the title.

Old 05-04-10, 03:18 PM
Oh well, the outer bankies are uppity, anyway. I'll check with wifey when she gets home to see if she can find it in one of her books. She is my arborist, and thrives on identifying native plants. Writes a few newspaper articles, too.

Old 05-06-10, 05:59 PM
Check out "scheflerra" They can get that big if they are old. They may do well in your zone outdoors. There are many varieties, some smaller are houseplants sometimes called umbrella plants. Some larger can be as big as a tree or good sized bush, since you cannot find it around your area, I would guess it might not be native.

Old 05-07-10, 05:13 AM
That looks the closest of all I've found. Even the trunk of the pictures I saw look like my bush. I think I have a good lead now for some binging and googling.

Old 05-07-10, 08:25 AM
Possibly some sort of Rhododendron, Pisonia, or Michelia?

Old 05-29-10, 12:36 PM
I'm almost certain 99.9% sure this is a Rhodadendron bush. I live in Pa and we have one in our yard, but not that large. The house not far from us has a huge one like this and theirs gets purple flowers every spring. These bushes also grow up in our mountains.