Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

l.e.d. lights for indoor gardening. yay or nay?

Old 11-11-09, 09:18 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

i have read many benefeits to l.e.d. lights for plants;no risk of leaf-burns, low electricity cost, no ballast/bulb maintenance to name a few.

are there any cons?

full disclosure, this is for growing medication for an o.m.p.p. card holder and i am a certified provider.

thank you,
mikiel

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-09, 05:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
I would research carefully if the LED's provide the wavelength of light needed. LED's produce very specific wavelengths and even though some are within the photosynthetic region I have long been curious if a "spike" of light is a good thing for a plant accustomed to a more broad spectrum of light. I have looked into LED's and could not find independant research about their efficacy. Most of the information I have found was on the retail sites of the people selling them.

I have no formal botany education and I have to wonder if a few spikes in very specific wavelenghts is like feeding humans nothing but sugar and water. It provides calories and H20 which are needed but is misses many other things that are important for overall health. I've read a few online postings where the LED's kept plants alive but they did not flower and fruit well.

If you've got the money I would love you to experiment and tell us how it works. I currently use high output compact fluorescents on my indoor tropicals and citrus but the plants in my outdoor greenhouse (heated to keep if from dropping below 38f) still do better even with the short daylight and colder temperatures.

Old 11-12-09, 07:00 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yeah, you put across a good point. the proprieters advertise that the l.e.d.'s only give off the waves that the plants are receptive to(40%). does that mean that the waves that they do not absorb (60%) can be used when it should otherwise be dark? it seems like this would interrupt thier night time cycle. i think that this would be a short term way to test the theory that they only use what l.e.d. supplys.

it looks like there's a bit more research to do before commiting to them.

so it's off to the internetts!!