Plum Trees

Old 01-21-10, 08:14 PM
Plum Trees

Last spring a was given some plum tree saplings that were in clumps. These clumps are made up of 3 to 4 shoots about 5 ft. tall. One of the shoots (or whips??) had a couple of plums last summer. My question is, should I thin each group to a single shoot or should I leave them as they are. The parent tree has large purple plums.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-10, 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by Retiree View Post
Last spring a was given some plum tree saplings that were in clumps. These clumps are made up of 3 to 4 shoots about 5 ft. tall. One of the shoots (or whips??) had a couple of plums last summer. My question is, should I thin each group to a single shoot or should I leave them as they are. The parent tree has large purple plums.
I've never seen plums grown in clumps. My concern would be that they can get diseased if they are not pruned correctly.

Having said that, I Googled the subject and discovered that there appears to be a native Colorado plum that is described on the Colorado State University web site.

Native Shrubs for Colorado Landscapes

If you look under 'Large Shrubs' you'll see it is called "American plum or wild plum". The description indicates "thicket-forming; white flowers before leaves, fruit good for preserves; attracts wildlife; cold and drought tolerant; yellow to red fall color; found along canyons and slope bottoms".

You are lucky that you know the parent tree. You can use the parent tree and the University Extension Service to help you determine the variety. They'll also give you good advice on pruning and care.

Old 01-22-10, 08:23 PM
Plums

BigRedSoxFan..Thanks for your reply. I am familiar with the wild plums here in Colorado. The plum whips that I have are a different variety. The two plums that were on one of the whips last year were purple and about the size of a small chicken egg, almost twice the size of the wild plums. Thanks for your suggestion on contacting Colorado State University.

Old 01-23-10, 11:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure if your plum trees will do the same, but I had two that bore in an odd timing. Year one they both would blossom and bear. Year two, only one. Year three, the other one. Year four, neither. It started back over on year 5. Weird.