Meyer lemons from seed

Old 02-21-10, 09:30 AM
Question Meyer lemons from seed

My boyfriend and I brought a ton of Meyer lemons back to New York with us from California. We decided that we wanted to try growing some of the seeds in our apartment. So we bought a Jiffy starter tray and planted the seeds (after looking up how to prep the seeds). Out of 36 seeds, 21 have sprouted. This is where we're running into a problem.

The first sprout is about 3in tall, and has two leaves with no sight of a second set of leaves. But my boyfriend just picked it up out of the tray and it has a root coming out of the bottom of the pellet that's probably 2in long itself. This isn't the only sprout like this, either.

Is it time to transplant? Or should we wait for the second set of leaves?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-10, 07:07 AM
I have Meyer's here in Louisiana. What I understand is that they are grafted plants. Usually you can't start a grafted citrus from seed, it will become a wild (?) tree with long thrones and not produce anything or produce poor quality fruit.
All you can do is try it anyway and see what happens.

Old 02-22-10, 09:21 AM
I have Meyer's here in Louisiana. What I understand is that they are grafted plants. Usually you can't start a grafted citrus from seed, it will become a wild (?) tree with long thrones and not produce anything or produce poor quality fruit.
All you can do is try it anyway and see what happens.

Old 02-22-10, 12:25 PM
Group Moderator
If they have two leaves I would go ahead and plant them but you can wait longer if you like. I vary when I plant depending on the growing medium to get the seeds started. If I start them in compost I will let them go longer because there is nutrition in the compost for the plant. If I start in vermiculite I try to get them into the ground or a larger pot as soon as possible since the vermiculite has no nutrition and the plant is basically living off it's stored energy.

My Meyer Lemon started blooming and producing tiny little lemons when it was about a foot tall. None of the fruit would stay but once the plant was in its second full season and about 3+ feet tall it started carry the fruit all the way until it ripens. A wonderfull smelling plant. I would have one around just for the aroma.

----
Planting seeds from fruit can be fun. It often does not work, but it is fun. I've saved sweet cherry pits and gotten almost every one to sprout. Soon it became evident that I had two different varieties. I assume one was from the root stock and the other from the grafted fruiting stock. It was interesting to see two different plants come from what I thought were all the same seed. Once we got to our hot NC summers one variety died out when we were consistantly above 85 and the other gave up when we were in the high 90's. They just were not meant to grow here. Still it was a fun experiment.