Growing From Tiny Seeds?

Old 02-26-10, 05:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 876 Votes on 806 Posts
Growing From Tiny Seeds?

Anyone have instructions how to grow/start plants that have very small seeds?

I am not having good luck starting plants that have very tiny seeds and cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've tried catnip and poppies both of which have really tiny seeds. I've got starter pots made of newspaper and half are filled with regualr brand name potting soil and the other half are filled with a seed starting potting soil (which looks like nothing but vermiculite).

The popies I tried germinated well and got to 1" tall but than every one whithered and died. I have not had a single catnip seed germinate. The catnip seeds were burried about 1/2" deep I tried for three weeks and nothing came up so I sprinkled seeds on the surface and just watered them in, and after 2+ weeks not a sprout. The soil temperature for my latest attempt has been 60-62f. I've kept the potting soil moist. The newspaper pots and potting soil drain well so I don't think I'm over watering.

Old 02-26-10, 09:33 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My wife started catnip last year using instructions from this website:

How to Grow Your Own Catnip | eHow.com

Our cat got so hooked on the stuff we almost had to put her in rehab.

No idea about the poppy seeds. The obvious thing I can think of is not enough light after germination.

Old 02-26-10, 10:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
I have them in a south facing window so they would get good diffuse light through the day and then several hours of full sun in the afternoon. Half I took outside for a couple hours in the afternoon to harden and the other half stayed inside. The all died. I'm wondering if I need to fertilize. They just get to a point, wither and die. I'm wondering if they used up the energy in the seed and there isn't enough for them in the potting soil/vermiculite.

Old 02-26-10, 01:31 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My wife (who does the seed starting for us) says that this is called "damping off". When you Google it, it will be called a funcus and you can see the control methods.

Old 02-26-10, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
My wife does our seeding, also. She refuses to buy plants, but prefers to do it organically from non hybrid stock seeds. Of course her husband is a carpenter, so he gets to build the racks, install the grow lights and all the fun stuff. She uses heating pads under the pots or flats to provide sufficient heat from below and light from above (adjustable on chains).

Old 02-27-10, 06:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
That reminds me, I've been meaning to take a thermometer and actually see what the soil temp is in my starter pots. I suspect my temps are a bit low for the catnip to germinate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: