Costus will come back?

Old 03-01-10, 12:15 AM
Costus will come back?

I have a hedge of Costus (which I understand is a member of the ginger family). They are in a planted area 2' by 30' in my deck. Over the years the have grown from the original center position and developed shoots everywhere in that planted area. So back in October I dug them all up, mixed up the soil, trimmed their rhimzones and dead ends, and replanted them all back in the middle again. That seem to have stopped it's crazy growth...I assume it will take time for them to come back. Then in January in Miami we had a cold spell that last two weeks and temp went to the 30s. They look terrible after that. Some of the new shoots have wilted.

My question is will they come back from the rhizomes and what do I need to do now, if anything, to get it to come back?

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-10, 07:32 AM
Because you say "Some of the new shoots have wilted.", I'm guessing the plants will survive. As you suspect, cold weather does not do Costus any good. Its hard to say for sure if they are damaged without knowing the variety of Costus. It's a tropical plant, but some types are hardy into semitropical areas like southern Florida.

I'd wait a few weeks. By then you'll know the answer to your question.

Old 03-01-10, 04:04 PM
It is this kind.

Local nursery calls it "red button" costus but I don't know if that's just some locally used common name.

Old 03-02-10, 03:05 AM
I Googled "red button costus" and got a lot of hits including this one from a nursery in the Miami area.

Available at our Miami area nursery: Flowering Gingers: Zingiberaceae, Alpinia, Costus, Etlingera, Hedychium, Zingiber

It looks like a interesting plant. I wish I had grown it when we lived in Florida.

I suggest you Google the plant as I did and review the hits. Also the nursery from the link I posted appears to sell the variety and may be able to answer any specific questions.