Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Does Lowe's or Home Depot sell plain fill dirt?

Old 03-01-10, 12:28 PM

I have a hole up against my fence that my dog has dug and the neighbors dog has made even bigger on the other side that I want to fill with fill dirt, but I don't need a HUGE amount. Does Lowe's or Home Depot sell the bags of just fill dirt? I know they sell top soil but that stuff will just wash away with the next rain or the next time the sprinklers are on....I'm going to be filling the hole with some fairly big rocks and then packing it with the fill dirt.....thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-10, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
I've only seen topsoil in the stores.

I would just ride around town with a couple buckets and a shovel in the trunk. Whenever you see people working on a construction site that has piles of dirt ask them if you can steal a couple buckets worth.

Old 03-01-10, 03:02 PM
the bags and bagging cost far more than the fill - that is why you will not see "dirt" in bags anywhere. - Sand and/or stone, yes, but not "dirt".

Dick

Old 03-02-10, 03:15 AM
Actually the Home Depot in our area sells bags of "soil". I bought two bags of the stuff last year and it was fairly close to "fill" - minus the gravel & small stones. As I remember, it cost about $2.50 a bag.

Interesting that if you call something "dirt" you have to give it away, but call it "soil" and you can sell it.

BTW: If your dogs are anything like the ones I've owned, they'll just view your efforts as a challenge.

Old 03-02-10, 12:06 PM
I went and did some shovelling on the edge of my ranch and came away with some good fill dirt to take home and my problem is fixed for now

Originally Posted by BigRedSoxFan View Post
BTW: If your dogs are anything like the ones I've owned, they'll just view your efforts as a challenge.
Well, I only have one and she isn't really a digger, but the neighbors dog is and dug enough for it to get in my yard....funny thing is the neighbor kids were trying to get it to come back to thier yard and it liked my yard better

Old 03-05-10, 10:16 AM
Try putting down some chicken wire and use those metal tent pegs to hold it in place, put some grass seed down and put another 1/2 inch of soil over that. The wire will keep the dogs from being able to dig the hole again, if you shovel back into the sod a bit and use a larger piece of wire with the 1/2 inch square holes in it, that should work just fine.

(my husband says so anyways)