Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

I would like to use my sawdust in the garden

Old 03-27-10, 12:28 PM

I get about 40 pounds of sawdust every 6 months and would like to add some Nitrogen and use it a mulch.

Has anyone done this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-10, 01:24 PM
I've used it at a few of the houses where we lived. If you like the look, it can be an effective mulch in blocking weed growth.

Just a couple of things the extension service warned me about:
(1) As you say, you'll need to add some nitrogen or the plans will suffer as the sawdust decomposes.
(2) It will tend to turn the soil more acidic. I only used it around evergreens and other plants that could tolerate an acid soil.

I did find that it had a tendency to "mat" and I would have to stir it up to keep it looking good. I also didn't use it on plants near the house because there is a danger that it will attract termites.

Frankly, I found it to be more trouble than it was worth. The last house, where I could get sawdust, all I did was to add it to my compost pile.

Old 03-28-10, 12:31 PM
Dan Thompson,

What's in the garden? Raw sawdust will add acidity to the soil (lower the pH). To a point, this is fine for things like blueberries, which thrive in acidic soil. Most vegetables can't deal with it -- they need neutral soil, around a pH of 6.0 to 6.5.

Best bet is to simply add it to your compost pile this year and use the compost next year.