Evergreen Troubles...

Old 04-05-10, 05:18 PM
Evergreen Troubles...

Anyone know what is causing this? It occurs only at the base.

Yfrog - img1895 - Uploaded by paleo78

Yfrog - img1894x - Uploaded by paleo78

Yfrog - img1896 - Uploaded by paleo78

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-10, 03:54 AM
Hi Paleo78:

Its difficult to know for certain from photographs and knowing what section of the country you live in.

My first impression is a winter or moisture problem, but it really helps to be able to see how and where they are planted and to touch the problem parts of the arbovitae.

My suggestion is that you contact your county extension service or find a local nursery that is staffed with people with the right experience and education.

Old 04-07-10, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by BigRedSoxFan View Post
Hi Paleo78:

Its difficult to know for certain from photographs and knowing what section of the country you live in.

My first impression is a winter or moisture problem, but it really helps to be able to see how and where they are planted and to touch the problem parts of the arbovitae.

My suggestion is that you contact your county extension service or find a local nursery that is staffed with people with the right experience and education.
Thanks Redsoxfan. I was leaning towards taking a few snapshots and heading to a local nursery. I live along the coast in Oregon, where it has been an unusual winter...temperate and wet. So moisture could very well be the culprit here.

Old 04-07-10, 09:13 PM
A local nursery guru thinks its from a hard freeze we had here this winter. Its very rare to drop below 32 here, but it did just that for a few days.

He recommended to give it a good feeding, brush it a little bit, and enjoy.