Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

tomatoe plants set out a few days are going "limp"

Old 04-09-10, 06:43 PM

Its been kind of cool the last week or so, could that be it? They should have enough water. Maybe I need to water more than 1/week.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-10, 06:55 PM

What is "a kind of cool"?

Fill out your location so we know whether you are in Florida, Hawaii or Alaska.

Old 04-09-10, 07:27 PM
One way to protect new tomato plants is to set them very deep. By burying over half of the plant, the stem and branches in the ground will all sprout roots and you will get a stronger plant. Reply to Dicks questions above and we can recommend some help.

Bud

Old 04-10-10, 05:22 AM
North Texas. Looks like location is no longer editable in my profile. As for the temperature, its been getting down into the low 50's at night.

Old 04-10-10, 05:57 AM
Tomato Plants

Plants which have been in a green house in partial shade will wilt down during the first few days of full sun exposure. Try watering two times per week. Make sure soil is porous enough that the water will reach the roots.

Old 04-10-10, 12:28 PM
Thanks wirepuller. Just laid out some soaker hoses. Will give the garden a good soaking 2/week now instead of watering by hand 1/week. Got okra, tomatoes and onions planted.

Old 04-10-10, 01:30 PM
Your tomatoes look good on the photo. I am no expert on okra, but the onions do well in most areas.

Steady watering does wonders for tomatoes. Also, it took me a few years to plant deep enough to get over 1/2 the plant in the ground, but it does wonders.

I have had to go back to different challenges after moving from a home to a townhouse, so I have gone to upside-down plants (tomatoes, peppers and now strawberries) to get the correct exposure with enough sun. The advantage is being able to get them out earlier (crazily planting outside in a week or two) in a cool early summer climate and still protect them. - You can bring them inside during a snow and then outside for the 70 - 80 degree day following. The down side is watering them daily and very lightly fertilizing every other day or so.

In Virginia, I had a 12' tomato plant (6' up and 6' down) in a caged container. It used so much water, I had to water it daily to keep enough weight in the soil to prevent tipping. - Tomatoes need steady heat and moisture. - Peppers will be a new challenge to figure out.

Some day I will learn to enjoy eating tomatoes.

Dick

You could probably use some mulch/plastic to retain and stabilize the moisture, considering your high temperatures during the summer.