Larvae in the veggie garden

Old 04-14-10, 06:12 PM
Larvae in the veggie garden

As I was turning my soil to plant my tomatoes,etc. and I unearthed about 20 whitish grey larvae. They are curled up like a cheeto.

I removed most of them then thought they might be beneficial, although I doubt they are.

Any thoughts as to what they might be?

Had tomatoes, japanese eggplant and basil planted there last year if this helps.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-10, 08:36 PM
either june bug larve or japanese beatle larve, they eat roots, decaying vegetable matter and you don't want them in your garden or yard.

murphy was an optimist

Old 04-14-10, 10:59 PM
Checked the web. These do in fact appear to be grubs/japanese beetles. I didn't think we had them here in California.

I plan to pluck the ones from the garden bed. My real concern is the lawn.

Any effect controls?

Old 04-15-10, 07:59 AM
I'd believe that they are grubs. There are several other moth/beattle types that can be mistaken for Japanese Beatles.

A good long term, but slow and expensive organic control is to apply a Milky Spore control. You can Google where to buy this locally, but it usually takes two to three years to be really effective.

There are two types of chemical control depending on the size of the grubs:
1) At this time of year, the grubs you see are last year's grubs that have over-wintered and are coming to the surface to eat your grass roots. These grubs are too large for the longer term control and need a stronger poison. Bayer makes a 24 hour grub killer that is only effective for 24 hours. After that you can feel safe letting small dogs on the lawn.
2)Sometime soon these grubs will turn to beatles, fly around and lay eggs in the lawn. When these eggs hatch, the grubs will start to destroy your lawn. Just before the hatching time in your area, you'll want to apply a long term grub control. There are several good ones if applied correctly at the right time. I suggest that you get specific information for your area from your local extension service (see the link).

Agriculture and Natural Resources - University of California - UCANR Home

Old 04-15-10, 07:00 PM
So far no signs in the lawn only the flowerbed. I will put down some granular grub control anway.

Thanks.