making a stand for a barrel compost

Old 04-18-10, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
making a stand for a barrel compost

Currently, I have a barrel compost setup that the barrel rotates on some casters. To get it off the ground, I was thinking of making a stand along the lines of the above. The stand would be about 2 - 3 feet tall. I'd planned to cut up a scrap bed frame. Where I've hit a snag is other than welding, how to hold the metal pieces together. I thought about drilling holes and using nuts and bolts. I've also considered pop rivets. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-10, 01:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Once mounted on the frame, how will the casters interact with it to allow rotation of the barrel? Using a bedframe, you could use holes with nuts and bolts (a couple per plane) to hold it together, if you have no welding experience. I would make a bottom frame similar to the top to keep it from driving itself into the ground. In other words, a box of steel angle.

Old 04-18-10, 09:37 PM
Nuts and bolts, yes. Pop rivets, no.

For the bottom frame that Larry is suggesting, I would use some wide angle iron -- something about 2" X 2". Also add cross braces (top corner diagonally to the opposite bottom corner) on all 4 sides to keep the frame from collapsing.

Old 04-19-10, 10:57 AM
Why not use wood?

Is there any reason you don't want to use wood? The bed frame might well start to rust in a short period and is also probably more difficult to assemble. Simple pressure-treated construction lumber might even look better too. And you can more easily attach the casters or rollers.

Thinking of it, I might just make a compost barrel like that myself. Great idea!

Cheers! MM

Old 04-19-10, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Wood is happy, but the OP was using old bed frames, so I guess we geared our answers to the materials he was using. Thanks for the pitch-in.

Old 05-06-10, 07:06 PM
Just forget the frame. I just load mine from the top. Tip it over and roll it to a different corner of the yard onca a week, then tip it back up.