Something to plant between houses

Old 05-01-10, 03:13 PM
Something to plant between houses

I am located in Minnesota, well drained soil, no shade.

I have a strip about four feet wide and fifty feet long between my driveway and the neighbors yard.

I want to make it a planting bed and put some kind of shrubbery or something in there instead of grass. I want something only a few feet tall or less.

Any suggestions on what to put in there ? Something easy to keep alive would be good. Would Hardy Hibiscus be good ? They seem like they would be but i'm not sure if they are self supporting or if they need to be by a fence or something.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-10, 06:28 AM
There are several different types of "Hardy Hibiscus". All of the ones that I've seen grow to a height of more than five feet and require "selective" (meaning labor intensive) pruning to look good. I've heard that they are hardy into zone 4, but when I lived in upstate New York, people complained that they lost the plants to the cold.

Boxwood (a Privit type plant) makes a good hedge and is very hardy. I like it because it is slow growing and you can keep it under control with a battery hedge trimmer.

Old 05-02-10, 08:11 AM
I don't think I want a solid hedge I am picturing some kind of plants or bushes with spaces between them and the ground covered with rocks probably but maybe some smaller stuff around them.