help with apple tree problem

Old 05-16-10, 10:00 AM
help with apple tree problem

I am in zone 7b and have a four year old Golden delicious apple tree. This is the second year that it bloomed and set fruit only to have approx eighteen inches of the fruiting limbs to die back and destroy the fruit.
This tree is planted next to a row of leland cypress trees and someone has suggested that is the problem. It is within ten ft of the nearest tree.
Anyone have any idea why this is happening? I have two other fruiting, one golden and the other red delicious, approx forty feet from these cypress trees and they are healthy and productive. Thanks for any help that you can provide. Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-10, 01:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good question. I do recall a problem with leyland cypress trees and other plants not being very happy living next to each other, but it wasn't apple. Apples, especially the softer type will be more susceptible to problems, and from your symptoms and the fact the others are doing well, it could be the problem. I had a black walnut tree downed last year by a storm. Now THAT'S one tree you don't want near gardens.

Old 05-17-10, 05:22 PM
A friend told me today that it is fire blight. Anyone heard of it? What can be done about it?

Old 05-18-10, 03:37 AM
Apples are very good for our health. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. So plant more apple trees.
daddy mummy veetil illa

Old 05-18-10, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by gardener321 View Post
A friend told me today that it is fire blight. Anyone heard of it? What can be done about it?
Here's a link that has information on fire blight.

Fire Blight

If you 'Google" "fire blight", you'll see more web sites on the subject. Some may have pictures that will help you determine if this is the cause of your problem.