lemon tree help!

Old 05-17-10, 06:51 PM
lemon tree help!

Hi! I've planted a lemon tree for almost a year it stayed the same height leaves were green. Then all of a sudden almost a year later the leaves would start to yellow and fall off. There are no holes in the leafs no brown spots. Just like a lime yellow and then they fall off. What should i do?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-10, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
How big is your tree and how many of the leaves are turning yellow? I get a certain number turn yellow and fall every year.

Is your lemon planted outside or is it in a pot? If it's in a pot it might not like being moved around, shocking it with a change in lighting. It also could be over watering. Are you fertilizing it?

Old 05-25-10, 06:08 PM
lemon tree

Actually all the leaves started to yellow and fall off but i noticed at the base of the tree there are little sprouts. I havent fertilized it yet. I water every 3-4 weeks. It is in the ground no pots. What im worried about is i think that the tree was grafted into a root stock but how do you know what part is the root stock and what part is the graft?

Old 05-26-10, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
Many citrus and fruit trees are grafted. If all the upper leaves are turning yellow and you've got new leaves sprouting out just above ground it's a good chance that the graft is dying or in serious trouble and the root stock is taking over.

That you have not had new growth also indicates trouble early on. My lemon, even in NC, has had almost continuous growth since I planted it.

Do you have any green leaves or new buds on the upper part of the tree? If not I'd start looking for a new tree, but I like to let the root stock go and see what it turns into. I had a fancy long stem for a couple years then the top died and the root stock took over and became a great tea rose.