Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Arborvitaes are tipping over from the saturated soil

Old 05-28-10, 05:55 PM

I have about 5 or 6 well established arborvitaes in my back yard. 4 of them are tipping over and lopsided. This just happened over this past winter. We had a very bad winter in NJ this year and then alot of wind and rain in the Spring. I believe that since the ground was so saturated the Arborvitaes started to tip. All 4 are anywhere from 7 ft to 12 ft tall. Does this make sense? I have been here for 8 years and this has never happened.

What I want to do is dig out the soil around them and straighten them out then repack the soil. I dont want to damage them or the rooting. How should I approach digging these out and loosening them up so I can tip them straight up? Will I need to tie them to something to stabilize them?

All intelligent comments are appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-10, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
I would wait for a big rain and try to straighten and stake them while the ground is really soft and wet. Digging them to straighten sounds like an awful lot of work and will damage the roots so if you do it I would treat the plant like you were transplanting it.