Fence line weed and grass killer

Old 08-06-10, 05:22 PM
Fence line weed and grass killer

I am useing Ground Works super weed and grass killer from Tractor Supply Co along my fence line. It is 50% glyphosate.

I find the mixing directions they give confusing. If I were doing an acre they would be fine.

I am in SW FL with a variety of vegetation along my fence. What would be a good proportion to use. Say oz per gallon?
JIm

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-10, 07:48 PM
Hello Jim,

Iím on the SE coast of FL.

I think your using this product: GroundWork Super Weed & Grass Killer, 40 oz. - 4221145 | Tractor Supply Company.

At 50% Glyphosate, your product has a slightly higher concentration as compared to standard blends found in Round-Up and other generic products which have 41% Glyphosate.

A good, middle-of-the-road application rate (i.e., common weed problems) for Round-up is a 1% solution rate. So that you can learn how to adjust your application rates depending on different weed conditions, a 1% solution rate works out to be 1-1/4 oz. per H2O gal. (128 oz./gal. x .01 = 1.28 oz.). If applying at a 1-1/2% solution rate (i.e., thicker brush), you would round to 2 oz. per H2O gal. (128 oz./gal. x .015 = 1.92 oz.).

Since your product has a slightly higher concentrate of Glyphosate, you might experiment w/ 1 oz. per H2O gal. as it will probably produce a good kill . . . if youíre not satisfied, kick it up to 1-1/4 oz. per H2O gal. the next go round.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You might experiment w/ a tank by adding a couple squirts of Joy soap per 3/gal. tank. The soap acts as a sticker so that it clings better to the weeds allowing more translocated Glyphosate to reach the roots thereby producing a better kill.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You made a more economical choice by selecting your product {$32.99/40 oz.} as compared to a similar product GroundWork Concentrate Weed & Grass Killer, 40 oz. - 4221137 | Tractor Supply Company {$19.99/40 oz.}. The only difference is the concentration of Glyphosate. At a 50% solution, your product has 20 oz. of Glyphosate {$32.99/20 = $1.65 oz.} whereas the other product has 25% Glyphosate {$19.99/10 = $2.00 oz.}. As you posted, keep an eye on the % Glyphosate in what you buy as you would need to upwardly adjust your application rate if buying a low % Glyphosate product. The price per oz. drops considerably when buying larger jugs (e.g., 2-1/2 gal.) should you have a sizeable amount of spraying to do.

Good luck, and keep the hurricanes on your side of the coast!

Old 08-07-10, 12:36 AM
Thank you very much for you reply. I have 350 foot of stockade fence to do. It takes about 3 gal of mixture to do it. I have been playing with concentrations. Then I thought someone must have figured this out!
The Ground Works is the best buy I could find in this area, but the directions are not for the home owner. The directions say it has an unmixed shelf life of 8 years or 6 months mixed, so will buy a larger quantity next time.
We don't like to share our hurricanes, they are a tremendous economic boom for the area they hit so will keep them here.
JIm