My Mint isn't as tasty as it should be

Old 09-16-10, 03:22 PM
My Mint isn't as tasty as it should be

When I was growing up, my parents put some mint along side the vegetable garden and it grew like a weed! we would pick off leaves and eat them whenever we felt like it and it was good to eat.

I bought a mint plant back in May and have let it grow over the summer. It is now robust and healthy but when I sample the leaves they are fairly bland. I don't bother chewing them, because the flavor is so short-lived and the taste is bitter once the mint flavor is gone.

I sampled the leaves before I bought the plant and I thought they were ok. Now I'm wondering, are there different varieties of Mint (spearmint, not peppermint) that have different qualities?
would the introduction of Miracle Gro contribute to the watering down of the flavor?

Any recommendations or am I expecting too much?
A friend brought some mint into work last year and it was very good, not like what I'm growing.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-10, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
I have both peppermint and spearmint growing in my yard. I've only used them for Iced Tea and garnish. So, I just went outside to try them plain so I could answer your question. The peppermint was very minty and flavorful. The spearmint was also good, but compared to the peppermint is was blander and lost it's taste after a few chews and maybe very slightly bitter, but not real bitter.
I don't use Miracle Grow on them and I'm not sure if there are different varieties.

Old 09-18-10, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why don't you ask your friend how he grows his? Compare notes and maybe you'll find out what he does different. The type of soil could also be a factor.

Old 09-30-10, 10:41 AM
miracle grow

I definitely wouldn't use miracle grow. Mint, like many herbs has a delicate flavor and tastes best growing in rich composted soil. You might also try pruning some of the weaker leaf clusters to intensify flavor in the remaining leaves