Seeking Advice on a shrub/ flower

Old 01-03-11, 01:50 PM
Seeking Advice on a shrub/ flower

Hello -

I live in a twin townhome (only attached on one side). The side of my home that is unattached currently just has dirt& weeds etc. However, this sideof the house does not get much sun because there is another house that is roughly 3 feet away. I would say it gets 10% sun during the day. I am looking for a visually appealing shrub/ flower that I can plant there to make it look better than just dirt/ weeds. I live in Pennsylvania, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-11, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It may be terribly difficult to get a shrub to grow in an area with that little sunlight, as you can see by your dirt, and only weeds like what normal plants don't. You may try a holly, as they are about as hardy as anything I have grown. I even cut one down to below grade to install an air conditioner concrete pad. Within the next year, there she comes!! Growing out from two sides of my A/C pad was the holly. Hard to kill.
Hang in there, we have some more qualified horticulture people on the forum that this old nail driver, and they may have some better news. Good luck with the barren area.

Old 01-04-11, 11:13 AM
possible options:

flowering shrubs- azalea, camellia, hydrangia, mountain laural, kerria

foliage shrubs- boxwood, euonymus, holly, privet, yew

perennials- hosta, iris, primrose, viola, lobelia

annuals- begonia, celosia, coleas, impatients

Just a few to investigate.

Old 01-04-11, 05:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Kerry, note the lack of sunshine in the area. Do you think the majority of those will survive?

Old 01-05-11, 02:07 PM
Doubtful but worth a shot. There will be no perfect plant for that stuation but i have seen several of the above mentioned grow under dense tree canopes. Just giving options to try.

Old 01-06-11, 08:22 AM
Thank you so much for the responses. I really like Hydrangeas, and have read that the Oakleaf Hydrangea can grow in much shade. I think I will try with 1 plant first and see how it fares.

Old 01-06-11, 02:25 PM
Good luck and let us know what worked. Might help someone else in the same situation.