I had my tree pruned

Old 03-15-11, 09:48 AM
I had my tree pruned

I have a Queens Crape Myrtle and recently I had it pruned.

It is about 25 feet tall and I used to have a tree service company do it for me every year and they did a good job thinning out and pruning it. This year, when I dialed their phone number - disconnected. Apparently went out of business.

So I found another company to do it.

The only thing is, when they were done and I got home, I do not like how it looks at all. What they did was, they went around the tree in a circle around the top and pruned it, and now, it is shaping like a mushroom on a stump. It no longer looks like a tree. The other company would selectively prune the branches and when they were done, it still looked like a tree.

What should I do now? Will it grow into a bigger "mushroom"? Should I let it grow back and do it right next year? Or should I find a better arborist now to "re-prune" it, if possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-11, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
You need a new company. I'd call a certified arborist (might want to check with a local master gardener for a recommendation) and see what he says about any further pruning this year. Crepe myrtles are very resilient...some folks think they are trash trees.

Old 03-15-11, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have stated in earlier posts, I mostly prune Crepe Myrtles with a back hoe. Uncontrollable "trash" trees, IMO. Face it, you can't hurt it. It will grow back and you can do it again next year.

Old 03-15-11, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I have stated in earlier posts, I mostly prune Crepe Myrtles with a back hoe. Uncontrollable "trash" trees, IMO. Face it, you can't hurt it. It will grow back and you can do it again next year.
This is not the shrubbery Crape Myrtle, this is a tree, Queen's Crape Myrtle, Lagerstroemia Speciosa with a trunk diameter of 18", it is not going to go away.

Old 03-16-11, 03:30 AM
Group Moderator
I would look for someone different to do the pruning next year, preferably a arborist, and I would speak to the person performing the work and explain what you want done. Be clear as to what you want and do not want. Around here "pruning" will get you the mushroom look or a tree trimmed down to a few major branches.

Old 03-16-11, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gotcha, Miami. The ones around here are more spindly shrub like things. They will grow into trees if left to their own devices, but the propogation takes place underground and you will have a thousand of them in two years. Definitely go with a professional arborist, and PD makes a good point. While the person you contracted with is in the office, the guy with the cutters is in your yard. Talk to them to make sure they understand.