Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Need assistance on large plants/shrubs for a Rooftop Patio

Old 03-21-11, 12:13 PM

All-

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'm looking for some ideas for plants/shrubs/bushes that will do well on a rooftop patio. My patio is on the 5th floor of a building, about 55ft or so off the ground and gets a fair amount of wind. I'm in Washington DC, so planting zone 7 or 8.

I've tried Nandina which didn't fair to well, but am looking for a large plant that will provide some privacy to the patio next to mine, so a plant that is large (both height and width), thick, hearty and can sustain wind, morning sun and doesn't need a lot of maintainence.

Possibly a Juniper?

Thanks again for suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-11, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Are you using planter bases for these plants? If so, they will need to be deep and wide. Root configurations are massive the larger you go with your plants. They need room to spread out and down. Fill us in on the dirt medium you have. Depth capability, width. In addition the plant will need a wide base just to keep from being blown over by the wind. Remember the root system to most trees extends well past the drip line of the branches. If you don't have that space, no matter what you plant, it will fail by starving to death.
A juniper may or may not be exactly right. They are hardy, but you will need to select the right kind. Some grow as ground covers and stay pretty low. Others are thin and spindly, here again, causing you problems with stability.