Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to get the garden hose out yet in Minnesota???

Old 04-02-11, 11:33 AM

well i want to start my spring projects which includes me taking out the garden hose for the season. IS it safe yet or will we get down below freezing again?

My goal is to hook it to the house and put it on its reel for the season when im done. I think it still gets down to the teens - 30s at night. Should a fear a freeze and break? I dont care too much of those hose breaks but i dont want the house line to freeze up. I suppose i could always unhook it when done. That would be the non-bonehead thing to do.

Anyone else in MN using the garden hose yet?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-11, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm further south but I leave my hose out year round, when they forecast temps below freezing, I unhook it from the spigot and drain the hose. You don't need to remove all the water, just most of it - I've never had a hose bust from freezing with just a little water left in the hose.

Old 04-02-11, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
I am in Minnesota and am not using them quite yet.
You can use your hose but just be sure to disconnect it from the spigot so you do not bust anything in the house. Although I doubt that would happen unless we get a prolonged cold snap.
If you do leave water in the hose and it freezes, you will then have to thaw it out to get the water flowing. Best thing to do is start at one end and lift it hand over hand over your shoulder. This will run the water out.

Old 04-04-11, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
I don't have them out yet but if I had to use one, I would lay it out on the hill on the side of the house when done to drain the water out when I was done - I think it's too soon to assume we're not going below freezing any more