houseplant brown leaf edges

Old 04-04-11, 11:26 AM
houseplant brown leaf edges

We have an indoor prayer plant that has over some time developed ugly brown dead-looking edges around many of the leaves. Starts out with small patch which then gradually spreads, mostly around the edges it seems. Looks like this: http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb153/sgull1/001.jpg
We keep it watered okay, that's not the problem. We also keep it fertilized regularly by putting one of those Jobes indoor plant spikes into the soil once every six months. Any ideas/suggestions why this is happening and how to prevent it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-11, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
I'd say that it's fertilizer burn brought on by the plant spikes being in direct contact with the roots. If the pot was bigger and the spike was nowhere near the roots this might not be a problem. You might consider repotting in a larger pot. Overwatering could also be releasing too much nitrogen at once for the plant to handle. Not saying you are overwatering, but it would increase the amount of nitrogen being released if you are. I'd lay off the spikes and go with a fertilizer you can control, such as something you add to the water only every 2 weeks or so. Not something that's in contact with the roots constantly.

See also the section on nitrogen burn in this article.

Old 04-04-11, 02:32 PM
Yep, thanks XSleeper, I'd venture to say you're exactly right about what's going on. Too much nitrogen. Thanks for the advice and link to the informative article.