Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Dont know what this is? (I know nothing about plants)

Old 05-30-11, 06:57 PM

I just bought my first property and its 1.8 acres of old farm land and down in the wetter areas there are these tree/bushes about 10-15 feet tall, bare leafless till the top canopy area... and there shooting up new ones. what are they, so I can research them...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-11, 05:31 AM
It looks like a sumac bush. They are very common in the NorthEast. just be aware that there are varieties that are poisonous in the sense that it can be a skin irritant similar to poison ivy.

Old 05-31-11, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
Also looks like sumac to me. It is very pretty in the fall with bright red color. We have it all over here in MN but I have never encountered the poison kind. Your picture doesn't look like the poison kind to me either.

Sumac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Poison sumac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-01-11, 08:02 AM
Non toxic varieties of sumac have red to purplish berries. The toxic kind have gray berries. I'm not sure, but I don't think you can tell from the leaves.

You can always do a touch test. Carefully break off a branch and touch it to your skin. If you get a reaction it's probably the toxic variety. I never burn sumac unless I'm 100% positive it's non toxic.

Old 06-14-11, 02:24 PM
Here's a better picture. I didn't think that sumac had those ridges, but it sure does.

Ontario Weeds : Ontario's Online Weed Information and Identification Resource

Old 06-14-11, 05:32 PM
Sumac grows like a weed in my area and is in every corner of the county, and just takes everything over. The smaller trees can be killed by weedwacking off the bark around the bottom, but keeps coming back.