Is tree infested, dieing? Can I save it?

Old 07-19-11, 05:36 AM
Is tree infested, dieing? Can I save it?

Hello,

About a year and a half ago my father accidentally backed into a tree at my property. A small piece of bark was chipped off but was told by a landscaper that, being a large tree, would repair itself and that I didn't need to do anything. Now, I am very concerned that something is horribly going wrong.

You can see in the picture the damaged spot, plus now the darkish brown color coming from the bark. It is almost "oozy", like there is juice,water,sap coming from the area. I am concerned that it is either infested, or the tree is just not healing itself.

What are your thoughts concerning this picture? First, can I save the tree? Second, what can I do to help it? I have a can of "tree sap" that is used to patch wounds but have waited to see what route to take.

Thanks!

Last edited by roxy35; 07-19-11 at 06:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-11, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
I would just let it do it's thing. It appears the tree is healing on it's own. I certianly would not try any home remedies like painting or filling in the wound. I've read that that often does more harm than good.

--
Four years ago I was clearing trees around my pond. I used one large sweetgum tree as a "pulley" to skid other trees up and out of the forest dragging a chain around the trunk of the sweetgum. This totally removed the bark from about 1/3 the circumference and up to about 6 feet. Since then the tree has grown another 2-3" in diameter and looks healthy except for the large wound at the base. I have also "kissed" many trees with my front end loader leaving big gouges in the bark and they have all healed fine on their own. Life in the wild it pretty tough so trees can withstand quite a bit of damage and heal without our assistance.

Old 07-19-11, 06:13 AM
Thank you for your quick reply!

Does this look common, though? I've seen trees before that have been infested and it looks similar (I'm assuming because I've never seen one in it's early stage). We lost a tree in the backyard that was thoroughly infested (we bought a house and did not really examine the trees), but that tree was wayyyyy dead and completely hollowed out. I assume it took years and years to get that way. Needless to say, it has been removed. THIS tree has been and looks GREAT, it's just now this "wound" and the side effects the tree is showing has me very nervous.

Also, is it possible the wound has created an entryway for insects? Of course, I'm still assuming this is a sign of a possible infestation.

Old 07-19-11, 06:49 AM
Group Moderator
A wound is always a possible entry point for insects & disease. Most trees ooze as a way of flushing out or drowning & encapsulating invading insects and to help form a barrier.

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 07-19-11 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-19-11, 06:53 AM
Well, that's a good sign at least!

Is there really any way to tell what is happening based on the picture, whether the tree is in trouble or if this is the natural process of the tree repairing itself? Are there any steps I can take to make sure if there is anything going on behind the scenes that I am on top of it?

Old 07-19-11, 08:41 AM
After doing more research, I think I may have uncovered what is going on. I'm thinking this might be a case of "Slime Flux."

Martin County Center: Twigs and Branches - Slime Flux

If there is anybody with experience with this condition, could you please comment? Specifically treatments? I've read to remove the wet bark, however I want to protect it from invasive insects. Should I "seal" the wound now with a tree sealer?

Thanks!