Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Tree Hit by Another Fallen Tree During Hurricane

Old 08-29-11, 12:57 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have an 24 inch caliper 60 foot oak tree that was hit by a fallen 20 inch caliper 60 ft oak tree during the recent hurricane. The fallen tree is still partially resting on the upright tree and upright tree is leaning somewhat. I am concerned about the safety of the upright tree. Where should I be looking for damage in upright tree or should it just be removed for safety?

Old 08-29-11, 01:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Is the ground disturbed at the base of the existing tree? In other words, does it look like removing the fallen tree will remove the lean in the existing tree or does it look like the existing tree has been changed by the impact?

Old 08-29-11, 09:53 PM
E
The ground is not disturbed around the base of the existing tree, although I can't see a small area is still covered by heavy limbs. This area is on the side of the tree where it was struck. The opposite side has no disturbed ground. I'll have to see if I can remove the limbs.

Can any damage occur above the base that would cause the lean?

Old 08-30-11, 04:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
I would remove the fallen tree and then assess the standing tree. It's a rather common situation in my forest since few trees ever fall cleanly and there is usually little damage done to the tree they hang upon. Just some broken branches and scuffed bark where the two trees hit. Even if the standing tree to a bit of lean it's usually back to vertical in a year. Oaks are quite hearty trees so I would be in no hurry to cut down the standing tree.

Be very careful working anywhere near the hung tree and even after it's down look carefully for "dead men" hanging up in the standing tree. Edge10 will you be cutting down the tree or hiring professionals?

Old 08-30-11, 08:31 AM
E
Pilot, professionals cutting down the fallen tree. Thanks for the warnings. The standing tree is near a structure, so that is the reason for the extra safety concern. It is also located on a downslope where the downslope faces the structure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: