Removed buckthorn - now what?

Old 09-06-11, 08:21 PM
Removed buckthorn - now what?

I have a wooded area abutting my back yard where I recently uprooted massive amounts of buckthorn. Now the tall broadleaf weeds are coming in with a vengeance. Any ideas how I can make this area "woodsy" so I can walk back there without feeling like I'm in an African jungle?
I'm hoping for an alternative other than roundup, which would be quite costly for an area this size.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-11, 04:51 PM
Planting trees would be a long-term fix, although would take many years to take effect. For now, you'll either have to plant grass or weedwack more often.

Old 09-08-11, 06:09 PM
Group Moderator
What are you envisioning? You can't just clear an area and expect it to stay clear on it's own.

Old 09-09-11, 12:04 PM
I'm picturing walking in the woods without my feet binding on weeds, without thistle sting and burrs attached to my clothes. The buckthorn was extremely dense. It's removal seems to have awakened the weeds. I just don't want all that work to go to waste. Perhaps there's not a solution to this without chemical. Just keep weed whacking?

Old 09-09-11, 12:53 PM
Group Moderator
Brush trimmer would be my choice but it sounds like you already have a weed whip so the question would be whether you want to buy something else.

Old 09-12-11, 07:20 AM
I have the 3 steel blade brush trimmer attachment. What a nasty device. You could take down a house with that thing. :-)

Old 10-02-11, 01:28 PM
life after buckthorn

have you ever used pine straw mulch? it's inexpensive, lightweight, easy to transport, easy to spread and resists erosion. in most situations, it keeps weed out better than wood mulch. i just love it. some people just don't know it exists since it's not found at home improvement chains. odds are, there is a locally owned garden center or mulch place in your area that carries it. the look is very finished and polished. great for walking on. just an idea.