planting over a removed tree

Old 11-02-11, 06:09 PM
planting over a removed tree

We live in Houston and have a 30-35 foot, 25+ year old pine tree, trunk about 16" in diameter, that we'd like to remove, and one day, plant a new tree in the same general spot.

We plan on having the stump ground down about a foot, drilling a ton of 6" holes, filling holes with nitrogen rich fertilizer (unless there's a better way), and keeping the area moist.

How long should we wait to plant a new tree in the general area? How far away should we plant? How close can we plant? I assume the existing root structure has to rot/decompose as well, but how much and how long?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-11, 01:58 AM
We had several stumphs in our backyard.We used salt to cover those stump for decay.It worked well in our yard...

Old 11-14-11, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator
I assume you mean to have the stump ground to about a foot above the ground.
Even with drilling holes and helping decay with fertilizer it will still take many years for the stump to rot away.
Why not have the stump ground to slightly below the surface of the ground and then drill holes and treat?
You can then cover it with dirt and it will tend to stay moist on it's own.
There are several products on the market for assisting with stump decay.

You could try a test hole a few feet away from the stump.
As long as you can plant a replacement tree without hitting old roots in the hole the new root structure will find it's way around the old one.

I am removing several medium sized poplar trees each year and find the best way for me is to cut the tree down leaving about five feet of stump.
I then hand dig around the base of the stump exposing as much root as I can.
I then carefully cut through the roots with a chain or reciprocating saw until I can pull over the stump with a pick up truck.
The tall stump allows a fair bit of leverage to pull it over.

Old 11-15-11, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
As long as you can plant a replacement tree without hitting old roots in the hole the new root structure will find it's way around the old one.
yep, thats pretty much it in my knowledge. 30 feet is pretty high, but you have forests of 60 feet trees all pretty close to each other, don't worry about them they will adapt! Nature has its ways....

Old 11-21-11, 07:15 AM
Using salt , to decay the tree stump, surprised us

After we keep pouring rock salt on top of our stumps,With in few months all our tree stumps were brittle and all the wood & roots were totally decayed & left a big hole.We already planted new plants there, doing well.....

Old 11-28-11, 07:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tree removal-planting in old spot

The practice of using rock salt or fertilizer to decay a stump will work over time to decay the stump, but you should be careful using this technique, as adding either to the area will cause a buildup of salts in the soil and may become toxic to any plants already in the area or anything new you plant. If this is how you decide to remove your stump, make sure you apply plenty of water to the area and leach as much of the salt as you can down past the root zone...This will take many waterings.

Cost-wise, you might want to think about how much rock-salt or fertilizer you are going to have to buy versus the cost of either renting a mechanical stump cutter or hiring someone to do it and just be finished with it immediately.

Last edited by stickshift; 11-28-11 at 07:54 AM. Reason: removed advertising link
Old 11-28-11, 03:28 PM
What kind of tree is being taken out and what kind of tree is going in? Some trees have a very persistent growth and others none at all.

Old 12-05-11, 06:38 AM
After hurricane Katrina, we had 15 big giant size tree stumphs in our backyard.

We had 15 big giant size tree stumphs in our backyard.about 12 inch above the ground.We bought 2-3 bags of 40 pound rock salt crystals .Poured on top of those stumphs and sprayed water to keep the salt moist frequently.With in 6 months to a year. All the wood and roots were brittle.Easy to remove them and finally we made sure to pour lot of water.Then filled up all the holes with sand mixed with top soil and mulch.Later in few months we grew some other trees over those old spots.All our trees are about 5 years old and blooming.....We were given estimate to remove stumphs for $3000. Instead,We paid for 3 bags of 40 pound of salt each $6.00( spend only $18.00) to remove 15 stumphs.It worked well in our situation...

Old 12-21-12, 10:06 AM
Pines and other conifers do not grow back very readily. But 16 inches is a pretty big stump. In this case, you are grinding the stump down to give the new plant someplace to start.

It looks like you are trying to encourage the stump to rot by applying fertilizer? I've never heard of this. There are specialized compounds for this that would work better.

The timing depends on what kind of plant you want to install. If it's strong and fast-growing, like bamboo, I'm sure you could plant it right away. But most trees want to send a tap root straight down. So I would plant it off to the side, not directly in the remains of the stump, unless you're willing to wait about a year.