Losing my Cukes

Old 04-15-12, 06:39 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Losing my Cukes

Started cukes from seed. they were going great - started them in one of those compacted peat moss things - where you add water and the peat moss expands and you put the seed in the peat moss and put a clear cover over it. they germinated fine and I took the cover off. they grew fine - when they ogt about two-three inches I thought I should transplant them into cups with some potting soil. A few days later I took them outside for a while to get some sun - maybe it was too sunny or too windy? because they started turning white and them the stems started withering and last night I lost half of them and the rest don;t look too good. Any ideas as to what I did wrong? Any possibility to save the rest?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-12, 07:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
It was probably either temperature shock or sunlight shock. You can't just take plants that you start indoors at 70F and stick them outside. They have to be slowly acclimated to the outdoors. Cucumbers don't care for cool temps since they are a warm weather crop, so the temps really need to be above 60F at all times or they'll get shocked. It also could have been root shock from the transplanting, or if you added plant food to their water they may have gotten burned. Some potting soils have plant food that could be too much for a seedling.

Old 04-15-12, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 125 Votes on 97 Posts
Just wanted to comment that it's easy to start cucumbers from seed outside. Just plant them in the ground and they grow. Sometimes the birds will eat them, so just keep planting more. I find them one of the easiest plants to grow. You can toss more in later on, too.
However, they shouldn't go outside until May, in our area.

Old 04-15-12, 10:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree with Becky, certain garden plants don't require seeding, and one is Cucumbers. Squashes, beans, corn, watermelon, peas, okra, will go directly into the ground.
Wifey seeds her stuff like tomatoes, peppers, but I balk when she tries to get a headstart on the directly seedable items.

Old 04-28-12, 09:20 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It sounds like they got burned. Just plant them when the ground warms up like you would your zucchini.