Sod

Old 04-30-12, 10:56 AM
Sod

I have a couple pretty big bare patches in my front yard. It's just very dead grass I'm guessing. I don't know what has made it do that, but it's been there for about a year, and I'm just now doing something about it. I figured I would put some sod down and see what happens. I know I have to irrigate it twice a day? I've never done sod before, so I was wondering what the first few steps were?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-12, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
Remove the old grass and loosen the soil a little with a rake.

Place sod green side up.

Keep it watered.

Old 04-30-12, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
I like to sprinkle the soil so that it's nice and damp (but not muddy) after you get it raked and prepared, then lay the sod down into the wet soil- it helps it take root faster. After the sod is down you usually want to roll it to ensure it's well seated.

Green side up is sage advice. LOL

Old 04-30-12, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
My concern would be why those patches were bare in the first place - if there's a problem, the new sod will not be a lasting endeavor.

Old 04-30-12, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
I'm with mitch. Before spending the labor and money on sod I'd figure out why those areas are brown. Or, I would loosen the soil in the dead area and plant grass seed. It's cheaper and does not have to be watered as intensely as sod requires when first installed.

Old 05-03-12, 02:37 PM
I ended up talking to my neighbor and a few others. And they think it's a fungi that's making those brown dead patches. (There main concern was it spreading into there yard. Nice people! ha) I also talked to a lawn and grass maintenance man, and is coming over to fix it and lay sod. I'm scared to know what this pricing is going to be like. I wish I would of known about grass seed first. So you think even after the "fungi patches" are removed, my sod still doesn't have a chance?

Old 05-03-12, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Do you know what type of grass you have? Tall fescue is susceptible to a fungal infection called brown patch.

Old 05-07-12, 04:09 AM
I'm not sure what the name is for my type of grass, but I just looked up tall fescue, like you said and I'm 99% sure that's the kind that I have. Brown patch sounds exactly what I have. Sorry to keep asking stupid questions about this- So say my lawn was "diagnosed" with this fungi, is sod or grass seed still the way to go?

Old 05-07-12, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
You can do either. This late in the season the problem with both will be water. With either you will have to be diligent about watering since it will not have established good deep roots to survive the heat of summer.

The problem with watering is that it promotes brown patch so it's a bit like walking a tightrope. You need to water deep enough and often enough to establish the new grass but not so much as to promote brown patch. Thoroughly watering in the early morning is best so the grass can dry out during the day. If you don't mind going the chemical route there are fungicides that can be applied to the grass the help control it and some provide protection for about a month.

Old 05-07-12, 06:14 AM
Group Moderator
As Dane said, water in the morning - watering in the evening makes a better environment for fungus.

Old 05-09-12, 09:47 AM
Okay, well I think I'm going to go up for the challenge. Thanks for the input.