Tomatoes and spots

Old 07-10-12, 12:34 PM
Unhappy Tomatoes and spots

Not sure what is going on with my tomatoes. They are almost 5 ft plants, loads of tomatoes, but as soon as I get decent sized tomatoes (beefsteak) I get a black spot that seems to spread pretty quickly throughout the bottom of the tomato. Could this be caused by a bug (stink bugs) or something else? I have never had this problem before and I have had my own veggie garden for years. Whatever is going on it is not effecting my other veggies this way, not sure what is causing this? Any Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-12, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Not a tomato guy so I can't help but I can see that some pictures might make a difference - can you post a couple?
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 07-10-12, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
Sounds like a lack of calcium. Cause blossom end rot of the fruit. Google it. It may not be that its lacking but drought or some other factor is causing the plant to not take up nutrients.

I use organic so I would buy some fish emulsion and get a hose sprayer and drench the soil per instructions. Then mulch around the plants so you can retain moisture.

Old 07-10-12, 01:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I use a teaspoon of epson salt about 3" away from the plant stalk and let it water through. Shows a big difference in blossom end rot, which is most likely what you have, as Mike said.

Old 07-10-12, 02:56 PM
Thumbs up

Name:  071012180017.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  30.7 KBThank you all for the advice. I have never had this problem. Everything is growing so well, except for my tomatoes

Old 07-11-12, 03:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's blossom end rot. It is just a deficiency in the soil or the ability of the plant to absorb the nutrients. Proper amendments can help.

Old 07-11-12, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
Here's a nice article on it from the University of Iowa. In addition to calcium (don't know if that's the problem for sure without soil testing) they suggest that it could also be inconsistent watering, lack of mulch to keep the soil moist, or over fertilization.

All such fruit should be removed.

My g-g-g-g-g-g-g grandfather farmed in Mill Creek Hundred and was married (1768) in New Castle in the Olde Swede's Church there!

Old 07-20-12, 04:36 PM
I have the same issue. I am using a self watering pot that I have to fill nearly every day. If I add something to the soil, will it work?

Old 07-20-12, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
If it were me, I would saturate the soil with a fish emulsion. Then top dress with compost, and water in morning and evenings. Repeat emulsion a week later.

Neptune's harvest is what I use. I have about 100 tomatoes on the vine waiting to turn red with no issues. I use no chemicals.