Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Potted outdoor plants that need to go into the ground.

Old 09-28-12, 08:32 AM

I have about 20 outdoor plants that I purchased earlier this season to go around the water feature that is being re-constructed in my front yard. The old water feature was pulled out and due to contractor problems I ended up having to terminate the contractor. Now I have all of these plants that need to be planted...but it may be spring next year before another contractor can get here to start the water feature. These plants can't be planted in the front as it is all tore up. I was wondering what I can do with these plants so that I don't lose them as I have paid hundreds of dollars for them. I also had my whole yard done this summer so there is really no other place that these plants can be placed permanently. I have about 3-4 yards of top soil left over and was wondering if I could pull these plants out of their containers and place them in this top soil until next spring and then remove them when it comes time to place around the water feature. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to keep from losing my plants. I live in Montana so it get fair cold here in the winter.
The plants range in size from the smallest ground covering containers to large bushes containers.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-12, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Yes...planting them in the topsoil would probably be the best idea if they will survive the cold. I assume they will since they were going to be outside anyway.

If you bought them from a garden center (not a Big Box home store) you should call them and ask to speak to their Master Gardener if they have one on staff. Your local Cooperative Extension office will also have people that will be able to help.