Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Stump removal alternatives? Power tool attachments??

Stump removal alternatives? Power tool attachments??

Old 11-05-12, 02:19 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Stump removal alternatives? Power tool attachments??

Hi all,

I've got 6 stumps, from ~25 foot podocarpus trees, that are about 4 feet tall right now (see pic), that I need to remove completely in order to plant something new as soon as possible. The stumps are not large and range in diameter from 4 to 8 inches.

The stumps were left at 4 feet tall, instead of near the ground, in the hopes that I could simply dig around the base of each to about 9-12" and cut (with a sawzall) what roots I could find and then use the taller stump (more leverage) to rock back and forth to get them out. Problem is, after doing that, I can't budge them an inch.

Normally, I would rent a stump grinder from my local box store and grind away. Problem is, these stumps are located in a raised planter box that runs the length of our pool. So, I've got our pool on one side, and a fence on the other and really no room for a walk behind grinder.

This situation also rules out burning the stumps out, and chemically treating them would take too long as I would like to replant as soon as possible (i.e. not months away).

My question is this, are there any 7" angle grinder attachments that I could buy that would essentially do the same thing as a walk behind grinder? Maybe something like this 36 grit abrasive disk (this is for 4&1/2" grinders):
Product Catalog 3M US:*3M

I realize this isn't the prefered method, but based on the circumstances, I'd like to find something that would fit on my 7" angle grinder (or even my drill) to help facilitate the removal of the smallish stumps I need to get rid of. I'd rather have a powerd tool help me, and one that would be relatively precise, than for me to swing an ax or a maddox.

Any suggestions for such an attachment?

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 11-05-12, 04:25 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I'd clear as much dirt away from the base as possible and use a small electric chainsaw to cut it as close as possible without the danger of the saw chain and bar digging in the dirt. Then I would get some cheap (Harbor Freight) circular saw blades with an arbor hole that matches your grinder and of the largest diameter that will fit with the rear guard still in place. If you can mount more than one blade it will go faster but a single blade will do.

You then just use this handy-dandy execution rig VERY CAREFULLY to chip away at the remainder of the stump. It is rather dangerous and I recommend a full face shield and other safety equipment. It can easily get away from you and if it contacts any body parts (arms, legs, etc) it will chew them up faster than you can react. It won't be a five minute job but it can be done.

Old 11-05-12, 04:42 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I'd use a carving blade in an angle grinder. Instead of an abrasive disk it's basically a ring of chain saw chain.

The warnings that Furd gave apply here as well. It's a chain saw blade spinning very fast, very close to your hands & body. Bad things can happen quickly.

Old 11-05-12, 04:49 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Excellent suggestion, Pilot. I was unaware of those blades.

Old 11-05-12, 05:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
It's more controllable than I thought but you do have to be mindful of which way it will go if it kicks.

Old 11-05-12, 10:49 PM
W
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5158[/ATTACH]

Wow. Looks increadible. At first, I thought it might be more dangerous than a typical chain saw (since angle grinders have a higher RPM...I think). But, on their web site, they actually list stump grinding as one of the things they recommend using it for. It even has a saftey mechanism in that if you run into a nail or wire in the wood, the chain stops while the disk continues to spin giving you that split second to release the grinder trigger. Not 100% foolproof of course, but pretty neat saftey feature.

Perfect.

Except, they only fit the 4 & 1/2" grinders...mine is 7"

Too bad, looked really promising!

Attached Images  
Old 11-06-12, 04:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd look at that as an excuse to get a 4.5" grinder

Old 11-06-12, 04:34 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Stumps

The wheel shown above will work well until it hits dirt. Then it will dull quickly.

I would suggest cutting the stumps off close to the ground and planting new plantings between the stumps.

Old 11-11-12, 07:50 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
What Pilot said. The wheel is small enough and tough enough for the job you have. I'm sure you're not the first one who found themselves in this predicament, so attachments like this are made for this purpose. Pretty much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: