Wintertime protection for tree plantings.

Old 11-23-12, 06:01 PM
Wintertime protection for tree plantings.

Would be grateful for suggestions concerning protecting small (newly planted last spring) trees and shrubs. Much obliged.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-12, 05:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A layer of mulch around the base should be all that's needed. IMO if the tree/bush needs more protection you used the wrong plant for your location...... but then I'm just a painter, let's see what the others have to say

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 11-24-12, 05:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Depending on the type shrub, most can be wrapped in burlap and hilled with dirt around them to protect from extremely cold weather. Having been planted last spring, they are pretty well acclimated to the soil, so hopefully a minimal amount of protection will be necessary. I protect my Kiwi and Fig bushes every year like that, but I cut them back, too, so they are more exposed than normal trees. Our plant pros will be along shortly with possibly better methods, so hang in there.

Old 11-26-12, 03:54 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. My concern is deer, rabbits and mice eating the bark on the trees. Would be grateful for ideas to preven that kind of damage.
Thanks again

Old 11-26-12, 04:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know that mice or rabbits would be a problem but deer can be. About the only way to keep the deer from the trees would be to erect a fence around the tree. Doesn't need to be fancy, just something to make it hard for them to get to the tree.