Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

How should oak trees be climbed to prune them? (service folks)

Old 01-18-13, 10:16 AM

So I've been contacting a few people out here in California about trimming a few oak trees that are on our property. We've not had to deal with it since we moved in and now they are overdue.

What I'm wondering is one person I called who was quite expensive talked about how you climb the tree with ladders and not crampons/spiked shoes so as not to damage the tree or violate part of the protective law for oaks.

Another guy who is chepaer (likely unlicensed and unbonded) was going to use crampons but said he could use a ladder to get into the branches, but I didn't ask what he would use after that.

I know they use ropes somehow to move around once up in the tree (at least I think so), but is there an accepted practice to not injure the tree or leave visible marks?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-13, 11:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Being in California, you probably have more tree hugging (no pun intended) laws to protect the trees than protect yourself. Nonetheless, if damaging the tree is a priority with local officials, I would recommend finding a crew that used a bucket truck thereby eliminating the need to climb the tree at all.

Old 01-18-13, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
What protective law for oaks?

Personally, while I like oak wood for furniture and floors and such, I hate oak trees and would be at least looking into having them trimmed all the way to the ground, aka removed.

Old 01-18-13, 11:09 AM
Trimming Oaks

I agree with Larry. Find a crew who will use a bucket truck.

A ladder should never be used where a chain saw is involved. I speak from experience.

Old 01-18-13, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Using a saw FROM a ladder is not advisable...but many arborists will climb in using a ladder then haul a trimming saw up by rope.

A good person will ladder to the lower canopy and then rope from there Most trimming will be at branches that can easily support a persons weight.

Climbing spikes won't really hurt a healthy tree, nor will the ropes (as long as they aren't worked back and forth on the bark). That's what I've been told by a couple of guys.

Sure, bucket truck is the way to go...but I'll guarantee that will be the most expensive option.

Old 01-18-13, 01:52 PM
Where these trees are, there is no way to get a bucket truck to, even if $$$ were not an option.

Thanks for the responses. And no, ha! I can't cut them down. California doesn't even allow you cut any branches past the point of being 2" in diameter or radius, I forget. You also can't prune more than 10% of the tree, etc. etc.

Yes, very protective. No one will be complaining so I don't care about that, and yes I want to use this one person who is willing to look the other way and trim back more than is allowed because we waited so long to have this done, 10% won't do squat.

Initially I wanted to cut them down before I knew you can't, but now that I'm used to them, I want them to live long, healthy lives - in balance with my need to ensure the backyard/pool isn't a complete mess.

Thanks all!

Old 01-18-13, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, the mess is the problem I have with them.

Old 01-18-13, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
I have a bucket truck but couldn't get into the backyard. I hired a guy that used a sling line. He somehow through the rope over the branch and was hanging from the one rope and trimming the tree

Pretty impressive....actually

Old 01-19-13, 05:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
PJ, I had a precarious tree leaning toward my rental cabin on the side of the mountain that I was definitely not going to cut down. The guy I used came highly recommended. He did an excellent job. Only thing, I didn't notice any long body hair, and his arms weren't longer than his legs, but he climbed around several trees tying himself off and brought it down in sections. I would have NEVER have been able to do that.