Dwarf spruce

Old 04-02-13, 04:36 AM
Dwarf spruce

i live on Long Island, NY. I planted some Dwarf alberta spruce this past fall.
I was wondering what if any fertilizer should be applied this first year and at what times. Any thing else I should attend to to give them a good chance. Mulch ? What kind ? They were transplants - 5-6' s. Nice big hole dug and a bit sandy soil but good amendment added at the time of planting. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-13, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
If planted in the fall I generally give anything a light fertilizing with 10-10-10 or a fertilizer that has the first number nitrogen as it's smallest number. The second number is good for root development and the third helps with disease resistance so more of those nutrients are good for helping establish new plants. You don't want a big first number which causes the plant to green up and try to grow rapidly, stressing the plant before it has established good roots.

Old 04-02-13, 05:33 AM
Thank you. does it matter if I use a slow release organic or not ? How many times this first year ? I did add to the soil a product that was supposed to stimulate root growth at the time of planting. The nursery guy said studies have shown that root grow can do quite well during the over winter.

Old 04-02-13, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
Generally I think organic or something natural is best but they can be the most expensive if you don't make it yourself. Next best would be slow release but again it's more expensive. Lastly and perfectly OK are regular fertilizers. You want to apply a light dose anyhow so not being slow release will not hurt.