Raised Garden Beds

Old 04-08-13, 04:04 AM
Raised Garden Beds

OK, So I just finished installing eight large raised gardening beds. Researched till my head was going to explode. They came out very nice and now I have to fill them with soil. I'm trying to do everything organically and wondered that If I get from local yards what is considered organic composted top soil, They make this from grass clippings and leaves that have been dumped by local landscaping crews after yard work. Haven't these clippings been sprayed with all kinds of lawn chemicals as well as leaves from trees and plants collected by various landscapers and dumped at the end of the season ? Does the composting process eliminate these residuals, "bake them to death ", or would these chems. still be in the composted soil ? I'm very confused here and need to decide quickly. What's the best way to go. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-13, 04:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you are going "organic" make your own compost. Don't trust someone else's composting, as you don't know what is in it. Seeds often don't decompose completely, and if there are errant weed seeds in the compost, well, you'll have a great weed garden. Landscapers dumped it for a reason. It wasn't suitable for their use.
We use mushroom compost as a starter for our beds. We have a local supplier, and can get it by the yard....cheaper than by the bag, obviously.

Old 04-08-13, 04:53 AM
Wish I could, but I need about 20 yards of soil, composting on my own is not an option.

Old 04-15-13, 12:21 PM
Ask the guys selling the "organic topsoil" where they are getting it. We have a local landscape service that gets it themselves from an old overgrown pasture behind their lot. They just scrape the surface where the topsoil is a foot or more deep. They screen it and sell it at a premium.

Now that your beds are built its time to think about building your compost bins.