Leaves wilting

Old 05-08-13, 10:40 AM
Leaves wilting

I have 3 plants. A citrus, Jade and a rubber tree. All are indoor plants during the winter months, however when I put them outside in the beginning of the spring time and the sun hits them, the leaves that are directly exposed to the sun always wilt. Eventually they come back, but is there any way to avoid this "wilting" phase? Maybe only exposing them to the sun for a little bit at a time would work but I'm not usually home during the day to babysit them. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanx

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-13, 10:49 AM
I have a plumeria and a hibiscus that react the same way in the spring. I put them out where they get limited full sun for the first couple of weeks outside.

Old 05-08-13, 11:17 AM
Thanx for the reply Wayne.

I put them out in the beginning of April as soon as there is no chance of frost. Wherever the sun hits the leaves directly they turn brown and wilt.

Jim

Old 05-08-13, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Do you have a spot that just gets light, but not direct sun? That would work.

Old 05-08-13, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
As wayne stated you need to acclimate them to the outdoors.

I put my orange tree in a shaded area for a week. Then move to a area that gets morning sun but out of the hot late afternoon sun for another week. Then I just put in full sun. If not then I lose some leaves. They tend to start curling.

Sometimes it can be a water issue too. You need well draining soil.... I found if I use regular soil the tree will not last long and die with in a year or two...

I mix my own. Not too much peat. Sand and purolite...etc.

Not a fan but I usually by this and mix in my added stuff. Also pea gravel in the bottom, about 2" then some garden cloth. Then the soil... Makes for excellent drainage....

Additionally I have good results with this for my blueberries bushes , grape vine, peache, plum, and apples trees. ( Espoma)

Old 05-08-13, 12:43 PM
Thank you for your replies.

Yeah I guess I should have not put them in direct sunlight. I do have a place under the soffit on my back porch where I could put the plants.

Jim